Thursday, April 2, 2015

Reflections from a Moot Court Partner


Pete graduated from the University of Chicago Law School in 1966, after serving four years in the Navy.  Former classmate and Moot Court partner, Judge Bob Cordek, recalls simulated court proceedings, the bar exam, and circling back to an old friend for help: 

I was his Moot Court partner in our first year at the University of Chicago Law School.  We teamed up because we happened to sit next to each other in a couple of classes, but we got to know each other through Moot Court.  We must have been a good team, because we won our Moot Court session.  

A little note about inflation.  One day Pete and I were discussing what income level would satisfy us.  This would have been about 1965.  He said $25,000 would satisfy him, and I agreed.  I think, as judges, we both were probably making about that in 1965 dollars.  

I saw him when we both were going into the room to take the Illinois bar exam, and I asked Pete what he had in his large briefcase, because I knew we couldn’t bring any books or papers into the exam room.  He opened the case and showed me a large, puffy pillow which he brought to sit on because he had heard that the chairs we would sit on for the exam were uncomfortable.  I didn’t bring a pillow, and had to endure the hard seats. 

Several years ago I was contacted by a  family member who was living in California and was having some legal problems.  I knew nothing about California law or procedure, and thought Pete might be able to help me advise my relative.  He was very helpful, and the matter was resolved applying his advice.

I have something else in common with Pete.  In high school and college I swam breast stroke competitively. 

Pete was a special guy.  I am sure everyone who knew him will miss him.



No comments:

Post a Comment