Friday, April 3, 2015

The Nichols Grandchildren Share Their Gratitude

With Christopher, Pete's first grandchild, at Ala Moana Beach Park in 1994. 

Grandad was an incredibly special man in our lives and in this world. He cared about the ones he loved the most, and our well-being, more than anything else. His ongoing support and amazing attitude were unmatched. He was always the biggest supporter and champion in my life. Immediately after Mom told me the news, I heard Grandad say to me in my heart, “It’s alright Chris, just get back to work,” with cheer in his voice.


Christopher with Pete and Betsy at the Outrigger Canoe Club in 1994.

I am thinking of the quote from Teddy Roosevelt: "The Man in the Arena." That really does describe what Grandad is all about. I am so thankful to have had him in my life, and I will strive to be more like the courageous man that he was. I write this in past tense, but that is actually not the case at all. He is with us now; the Grandad we all love is back. We can talk to him whenever we want. I have already been doing that without even dialing the phone.           - Christopher Nichols, 22 


Reading to Alison in Honolulu in 1994.
Alison's list of favorite memories with her grandfather:
  • "What’s the water temperature?" “Toasty warm, sir!”
  • Boogie boarding at the beach
  • Marathon Monopoly games
  • Hearing instructions to wear "play clothes"
  • Riding around Coronado with him on my blue bike
  • Making lemonade with Betsy at their house
  • The Jordan-Riddle family reunion trip to Molokai and Maui in Hawaii
  • Excursions to the Hotel del Coronado for ice cream
  • Swimming in La Jolla cove
  • Magic and talent shows in their back yard
  • Taking a train trip to San Francisco, and walking across the Golden Gate Bridge 
  • Paddle boating and choosing yachts "to buy" in San Diego Bay
  • My high school graduation                  -Alison Nichols, 20

Pete's health was declining when he and Betsy made the supreme effort to see Alison graduate from Punahou School in 2013 with approximately 9000 people in Blaisdell Arena. After 20 years of traveling to Hawaii to participate in sporting events, beach activities, and school functions, this would be his last visit. 


Alison, 2nd from left, walking past her grandfather at graduation in 2013.






No comments:

Post a Comment